Buzzworthy

Harvard black student? You have your own black-only graduation ceremony

If you’re a student at Harvard, and you’re black, guess what? You have your own separate black-only graduation ceremony.

According to The Root, more than 125 Harvard graduate students have registered for the black graduation ceremony on for May 23, and the point is to:

“Acknowledge the struggles and resilience that black students have had to possess in order to thrive in higher education, an environment where minorities are typically underrepresented.”

Graduating with a master’s degree in public policy, Michael Huggins told The Root:

“This is an opportunity to celebrate Harvard’s black excellence and black brilliance. It’s an event where we can see each other and our parents and family can see us as a collective, whole group. A community.”

Huggins said the event is isn’t about “segregation,” but rather, “fellowship and building a community. This is a chance to reaffirm for each other that we enter the work world with a network of supporters standing with us. We are all partners.”

Another student, Courtney Woods, who’s graduating with a masters in education policy and management says the event is a way to reclaim Harvard’s alleged history “of slavery, epistemic racism and colonization.”

Woods also told The Root:

“Harvard’s institutional foundation is in direct conflict with the needs of black students. There is a legacy of slavery, epistemic racism and colonization at Harvard, which was an institution founded to train rising imperialist leaders. This is a history that we are reclaiming. It speaks volumes that there has never been a black graduation ceremony until now. We created this from scratch, because for me, for many of us, we are not here alone. I carry with me the dreams and desires of my family. And as a first-generation, I know I am here to change the trajectory for all of us.”

Huggins says students are excited and have put a lot of work into this adding:

“Too often at Harvard, there is not cross-discipline contact between black students. So it can feel like you are the only person of color. At this graduation, we can show each other and the administration that we are here, we are strong and we are not going away.”

The graduate students raised more than $27,000 to host the event and the reception. In the future, organizers are looking to expand the ceremony to include undergraduate students in the future.

About Staff Editor

Recommended for you

1. M. B. Green

May 9, 2017 at 12:14 pm

Looks like Harvard has turned into a school of color!

2. martha

May 9, 2017 at 1:40 pm

Paid way too much money for an education that leaves them unable to define segregation!

3. Pedro

May 9, 2017 at 1:55 pm

Racist blacks.

4. Pedro

May 9, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Even Latinos don’t stoop this low.

5. surge e

May 9, 2017 at 2:12 pm

if the white populous tried this, there would be so many slanderous and racist comments, they would fill the library of congress

6. I'm white and proud of it

May 9, 2017 at 2:16 pm

Racist blacks. White’s would never get away with this. Disgusting

7. Jess

May 9, 2017 at 4:09 pm

When will we stand up and put a stop to this rascism? Is say its past time. I never owned any slaves. None of my family did either. This makes me sick. Why do they need a separate ceremony to celebrate what EVERY STUDENT also had to struggle with? Um excuse me but can’t you just be happy to be graduating? Ungrateful fascist.

8. PGMD

May 9, 2017 at 5:35 pm

As a white physician for 40 years, I have had a couple of Black families who’s child attended Harvard. After appropriate scholarships earned, they received substantial racially available stipends not available to whites. After over 50 years of integration, I think you are absolutely correct. God bless your views and I hope you have fun at this moment of celebration, but if you do then allow other races to isolate themselves from you. How about an ALL WHITE graduation or prom?

• Greg Medina de Kinsman

May 10, 2017 at 8:41 am

Predictable of affirmative action-mooching, opportunist clowns…Enough is never enough. They got admitted over whites because they would “add diversity” to a majority white campus.They got FAT scholarships for being black.They cried and whined about “institutional oppression” while they cashed-in their stipend checks that came from WHITE alumni…So here’s the answer….Give it ALL to them…separate dorms, separate cafeterias, separate classes, separate toilets, separate diners, separate water fountains, separate seats on the bus, separate parts of town, separate country…let’s see how separate unemployment looks like for them with their separate 3rd-rate, bogus, FAKE degrees in academic trivia BS like “Where Duh Free Shiny Things At” or “Why I Chase The Honkey Bitches”, “Why I wear Blonde Wigs and Weaves”…just pathetic.!!!

9. Greg Medina de Kinsman

May 10, 2017 at 8:40 am

10. Say Oy

May 10, 2017 at 10:14 am

Practice what you preach. In this case, it means they support racism. I think Rev. King is turning over in his grave.

11. Barry

May 10, 2017 at 5:44 pm

Way to segregate yourselves fools.

12. Lally

May 11, 2017 at 6:30 am

I always try to understand why it’s okay for the black students to feel like this is right? If the white students did this all kinds of affirmative action groups would be suing the school. I really think that anyone who graduates from Harvard dedicated their studies and worked hard for their diploma. And I am sure the diploma does not say Black or White student… Someday the while people will be so over this. When will this end.. I thought our generation had ended this but the young black people today are using their color to do and say things that not even white people should say….

13. J

May 12, 2017 at 11:16 pm

Way to segregate yourselves. Congratulations. looks like they really didn’t learn anything at all

14. Sonia tor

May 15, 2017 at 2:36 pm

And all the government agencies are full of blacks with affirmative action well paying government jobs.